Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I made some molecules today. What did you do?


Today I made some molecules. I was kind of bored, just sitting around in my room with nothing to do when I looked over at my window sill and saw my molecular modelling kit, also just sitting there. I thought to myself, "Hmmm. Why don't I make me some molecules." And this I did. After fooling around for a while making up random molecules, I decided to stick with the basics and made two classics: a cyclohexane and some kind of ethane (or butane depending on which groups you substitute for balls...). I had a pretty fun time.


It just so happened that I had actually been making molecules the wrong way for like seven weeks. My friend came over one day and started fooling around with my kit. He figured out the right way and I felt kind of dumb. Apparently, the molecule pieces actually snap into place. I had been holding my molecule components together with my hands for the longest time. Isn't that sad? Oh well. I guess you live and learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment