Thursday, December 10, 2009

Karma.

I just had the most wondrous laundry experience. It was kind of a good karma type of thing. (Although, I learned in my Asia class that there is no such thing as good/bad karma. A bunch of crazy Americans just made that term up a while back. It just happened to stick. Karma is actually the way you live your life as compared to the way your life was prescripted to be lived...) But anyway, back to my amazing laundry story. I had just gotten down there, and lo and behold, I found I had missed the dryer train - all the dryers had like 45 minutes left on them. However, there was one dryer that only had 11 minutes to go. I decided to stay down there in case someone came along and tried to take my clothes out of my washer.

Well, I am glad I stayed, because five minutes into my wait, some guy came down and had a bag of clothes. I very nicely asked him if he needed two washers (as there was only one free plus mine that I was waiting to put in a dryer) He said that indeed, he did need two. So I, being the nice person that I am, took my wet clothes out for him so he could use my washer. He looked very happy. He then left. I still had five minutes left of my wait, so I decided to use this time wisely and had a little look into the give away bin because it looked pretty full. I found this really cute shirt. But it had a weird stain on it, so I decided to take it anyways and wash it to see if the stain came out. By the time I was done looking, the dryer that I had been waiting for was finally done. But, since I am a firm believer in courtesy minutes, (giving an extra five minutes to the person after their clothes finish...) I decided to wait an additional five minutes.

I am really glad I did. Because this other boy came down (he had one minute to go by the way) and walked over to my dryer and began to take his clothes out. "Halelujah!" I thought to myself. But then, he felt his clothes and was like, "Oh man, they're still wet." Then he looked over to me and asked if I was waiting for a dryer. I replied yes, and he said I could have his dryer anyway. I asked him if he was sure, and he said yeah. So I was like, "YAY!" And I put my clothes in. And that is the end of my story,

In the end, three very good things happened to me this night. All because I was nice to two people. And it only took 16 minutes of my time. Karma. In the American sense, it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment